Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

Blooming on a Budget: Salad

Salads are my specialty if I don't say so myself.  I know what you're thinking, "Salad are freakin' kidding me?  How good could salad actually be?"  Well, if I make it - delicious.  This is a dish that can be costly if one is not careful so I will help make an economical, tasty and healthy version.

When I make salad I typically make enough to fill 2, gallon bags and they keep well in the refrigerator the entire week.  When salad is already made it's more convenient to eat it.  Please don't buy that pre-packaged mix that tastes like preservatives!  No wonder your kids don't like salad.

Ingredients:

1/2 small head green cabbage (shredded)
1/2 small head purple cabbage (shredded)
1 head iceberg lettuce (chopped)
1 head romaine lettuce (chopped)
1 bag baby spinach (I chop mine)
1 package of carrot matchsticks
1 package of rainbow salad

Blend together.  This is a base that works well as a stand alone salad or can be added to create more creative versions of salad.  We'll go into great detail on more adventurous versions in a later post.



No comments:

Post a Comment