Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2014

Blooming on a Budget: Hoppin' John

I'm a sucker for cooking shows - any of them.  Well, I guess I'm not a fan of the cutthroat reality TV contests but the one's that are on PBS are fun for me.  I enjoy Rick Bayless, Steve Raichlen (primal grill) but my all time favorite was the Frugal Gourmet.  I think he would approve of this dish. 

Ingredients

1 pound of black eyed peas (sorted, rinsed, and soaked overnight)
1 sweet onion - chopped
1 small green pepper - cored, seeded and chopped
3-4 stalks of celery - chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed and minced (I don't need to tell you to remove the paper stuff do I?)
1 bay leaf
1 small can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp each white, black, and red pepper
A couple of shots of Tabasco sauce 
Sufficient water to cover beans by a couple inches 
1 cup cooked brown rice
3-4 green onions chopped

Directions

Toss all of the ingredients (except the tomatoes, green onions & rice) in a crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. During the final hour of cooking toss in the tomatoes and allow to cook for the final hour.  Remove from heat and stir in the rice.  Top with green onions. Serve with a side salad or cooked mixed greens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment