Here are 5 non-dairy ways to increase calcium without supplementation:
- Okra - with a whopping 172 mg per cup this one is a calcium powerhouse! Don't fry it - please. Okra is a staple for gumbo. Yum!
- Collard Greens - this one is huge at 266 mg per cup. Collard don't require ham hocks or neck bones either. Yes, cook them and eat them with black eyed peas or use collards in a smoothie.
- Celery - Less than okra and collards but still fairly strong with 40 mg per cup. Celery is key to any type of Louisiana cooking as well as stir fry.
- Broccoli - 62 mg per cup of broccoli. Hold the cheese but add it to stir fry or eat it raw in salads.
- Almonds - one ounce contains about 75 mg of calcium. Snack on them. Add them to oatmeal.